Saturday, October 17, 2009

Bilbo Baggins, stationary century, etc.

I just finished my first go around with "The Hobbit". A delicious read. And I mean delicious in the truest sense of the word. It was tasty. Sometimes we eat - now I am talking about food - for nourishment, sometimes for health, often for both. Sometimes we eat food simply because it is delicious - it tastes a little like heaven though it may give us a little hell. "The Hobbit" is delicious. It is a tasty adventure tracking the journey of Bilbo Baggins, Gandalf and the dwarves as they battle goblins, elves, Smaug and wargs en route to reclaiming a treasure that rightfully belongs to the small, bearded-folk. Bilbo is the champion of the ring and the champion of stepping out of a homely comfort zone. Through Bilbo we learn that when adventure knocks at our door, challenging our beliefs and assumptions of the world - oh dreadful risk! - we are foolish to pass, lest we die standing up. Thank you Tolkien.

I just completed another stationary bike intensive week. Here it is:

SA: 26 miles
SU: 24 miles
M: core work out
TU: 14 miles
W: 28 miles (intervals)/core
TH: 26 miles
F: 27 miles (intervals)/core

145 miles total

I have decided to have a go at a stationary century ride. My goal is to put in the 100 miles in less than 4.5 hours. I don't think that this will be a problem - it won't be easy, but it will be a nice challenge. I will probably go for it next weekend. Game on.

Etc. - I have begun the transition back to shoes. My left foot is healing quickly. I have been wearing stiff-soled, hiking books every other day, in lieu of the left boot. Feels great to walk with some semblance of normalcy. A couple more weeks and I should be able to start jogging again. Yeehaw. But all in good time. If it takes longer, fine. I am fine with that. The point is to heal fully. That is what I am aim to do.



No comments: