Friday, October 9, 2009

Lying by omission

Yesterday I had an appointment with a podiatrist to do sort of a 3 week checkup on my foot - x-rays, pushing here or there to incite pain, waiting in a series of subsequently smaller rooms, etc. The doctor was baffled by my fracture. How did it happen? I didn't know. Any changes in your footwear just prior to the incident? Not that I could think of. Hmmm. A mystery. No, not quite doc, I thought, knowing full well that my own foolish, unbridled tenacity for all things extreme - in this case excessive barefoot running - was the culprit. I was too embarrassed to admit it. Anyways, the outlook he gave me was good; over the next three weeks I can begin transitioning to shoes, the fracture is healing quite well. I plan to apologize for withholding damning evidence and tell all! to the doctor at our next visit in three weeks.

Yesterday afternoon, I threw down (and nearly threw up) on the bike. I cranked out a little over 27 miles in 1:05 at the upper levels of the exercise bikes limits (and mine). It was great. Sweated profusely, burned the caloric equivalent of a double whopper w/cheese and had fun. I did feel quite nauseous toward the end of the ride, but held it in, fought it off and succeeced in completing the ride, sans projectile expulsion. Yeehaw. Doubtless, I miss running, but these exercise bike rides have been enjoyable and provided great mind, body and soul work outs. What more can one ask for? It is time for work. Peace.

No comments: