Friday, December 12, 2008

High Mileage

It is amazing what the human body is capable of. Over the last year I have maintained 100 miles a week or better - with no days off. It has become the most natural thing to me. Granted, there are many times where I have a hard time getting out the door, but once I am out, I am free. Most professional runners peak at 120-130 miles a week during intense training cycles. Over the last couple of months my most comfortable maintenance weeks have been around 140 miles a week - complete with solid work outs.

Though my mileage is high now, it will not be forever and I am 'okay' with that, I really am. In fact, I am pleased with the notion of change of routine and mileage. I am trying to let go of the numbers and focus on quality (of running with life).

Also, actually, most importantly, I need to rework running into my life again, in a balanced way. Running is not everything. That is truth, but too often I let it be everything. Not that I talk about it or act like it constantly, but I tend to get worried, nervous or anxious about the next runs, the next days weather, the next weeks miles, this week's miles, etc. These thoughts distract me from living a full life. I run best when everything else is in order and in turn when I am running well, I am peaceful and engaged with my non-running life; my work, my spiritual life, reading, friends, etc. Deeeeeeeeep breathe.

There is more to life than running. There is more to life than running. There is more to life than running. There is more to life than running. There is more to life than running. There is more to life than re-typing that there is more to life than running.

Be gone worries, fears, anxiety and guilt! Freedom. Sweet, sweet freedom, is found in our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. No worries, fears, anxieties or guilt (without Truth). Deeeeeeeeeep breathe. Peace. Love. Truth.

No comments: