Friday, October 10, 2008

Yip

Heading up to Hungry Horse today to get some sleep before the race manana. On my loosy goosy 6 miler this morning I was put in stitches (well, cracked a smile) upon eyeing a bumper sticker that read, "save a tree, skin a cat", or something to that effect. As a part-time, fair-weather environmentalist and a lover of funny things, I found it repulsive with a jolt of levity. To each his own. Let's face it, life is too short to be constantly tending to our visceral responses, creating drama where there is none and, of course, miss out on a moment of levity. Presently, I am enjoying my day off, sipping on some coffee and eating a peanut butter bagel at Morning Light coffee in GF.

On passions... never let money, time or nay-sayers be barriers to your pursuit of what makes you come alive. If I were pressed to deliver one, single lesson on the rigors of training 20 plus miles a day while concurrently working full-time, it would be this;

Wait, a preface to my silly lesson. We all have a passion, or six, and they are all equally valuable. In using the raw facts and figures of the last couple of months - mileage, work-time, etc., by no means to I intend to say my passion is the ultimate. It is what it is and I have learned something from it. Hopefully, it is the same with everyone else, assuming there are actually readers of this blog. Emerson exhorts us to "lose ourselves...to live with abandonment...", following those things that make us come alive, forgetting all else; our worries, fears, anxieties, nay-sayers, hecklers?, pre-prescribed limits, etc... Or, as the great poet Marshalus Matherus (Eminem) said, "Lose yourself in the music, the moment, you own it, you better never let it go..."

My lesson. Well, I honestly just lost it. In the moment I guess. Shoot. Well if, no when, I recall what it was/is I will hop back on here and share it. Coffee time. Peace and love. God bless.

No comments: