Friday, November 28, 2008

Challenge of the Week

My training challenge for the week was to run at least a half-marathon every AM. I am one day away from completing that. Most days were 14 and 15 milers in the morning and 8s in the afternoon. This morning I ran a really fun 15 miler. The first 7 or so I put in nice and easy, then kicked it up for the last 7 or  8, bananas in hand (for pancakes of course). I am feeling really strong. Truthfully, this week hasn't been much different in terms of training than any other - the change, though slight, is significant and here is why. 

Typically, I set out in the morning with no idea of how far I will go - completely based on feeling. Usually, I end up going anywhere from 9-15 miles every morning and then something of the same in the afternoon. This week, I committed myself to a training plan, of running solid work outs in the morning - 13-15 milers and then taking, laid-back, pleasure-cruising, errand runs of 7-8 in the afternoon. Some of those 13 milers were run only by heart - feeling out the pace based on what is comfortable and truly easy. Some of those 15 milers were run hard - as tempo runs, essentially. Taking "easy runs" truly easy changed my notion of what my training regime looks like. An easy 15 miler is fun, relaxing and refreshing. A hard 15 miler after an easy 15 miler is fun, energized and confidence-reinforcing. My legs are fresh and ready. Anyways, this has been a good week of training and relearning the importance of having a semi-structured regime. Too much structure can be suffocating and too little structure can be dangerous, erratic and ultimately, doesn't lend itself well to discipline in running and life. Peace.

No comments: