Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Great Books

Over the last week I read:

The Price of Everything
Slowing Down to the Speed of Life
What I Talk about When I Talk about Running

I apologize that I don't have the authors names. Lately, I have been selecting books, or have been recommended books, with little consistency - most of the authors I have never heard of before. Anyways, I would highly recommend What I Talk about When I Talk about Running to anyone and everyone, runner or non-runner. It is a great memoir of novelist's life as it relates to his evolution as a marathon runner. Great wisdom and insight is spoken - specifically relating to keeping one's life in balance and how our activities should reinforce each other. In the author's case, running has aided him greatly in being a novelist. Quick and easy read. I gobbled it in a day.

One leg to stand is good (it is at least something, albeit a wobbly something), two legs is better (us bipeds no what this is about), four legs is best (an elephant is much more difficult to push over than a human). Our satisfied sturdiness in life comes from putting our hobbies, jobs, relationships, whatever, in proper order, each reinforcing the other, ultimately, affording us a solid base to operate out of (from, to and fro).

No comments: